Ruth Patrick Science Education Center Student Field Trips
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
October 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 2023
Where: Ruth Patrick Science Education Center – University of South Carolina Aiken
Who: Middle and high school students
* Center of the Atom (An Investigation of Protons, Neutrons, Electrons, Elements, and Isotopes) - Students explore atomic structure using a series of hands-on activities which concludes with the discovery of the uses of an atom they create using the Interactive Nucleus display and the Living Periodic Table.
* Probing the Periodic Table - This program demystifies the periodic table and makes learning about atoms fun! Students grasp the organization of the periodic table as they construct a Periodic Table of Foods. Then, they build atomic models and use them to find patterns in the structure and behavior of elements.
* Changes Matter - Students explore physical and chemical properties of matter. They compare physical and chemical changes and experience reactivity through experiments and an “igniting” demonstration!
* Meet the Elements - Students “meet the elements” in a fun music video; then work together to classify materials as elements, compounds and mixtures. They will build atomic models and discover why compounds are either ionic or covalent.
* Modeling Atoms - Allows students to visualize the makeup of an atom in three-dimensional space by creating models of the subatomic particles that make up an atom. Students will learn concepts about atoms, molecules, and isotopes through drawing and constructing models of atoms.
* Radiation All Around Us - Explores forms of radiation, natural and manmade, and how this invisible energy can be understood as both hazardous and helpful. Learn how nuclear workers at Savannah River Site protect themselves and the public from dangerous radiation.
* Sunstruck (Planetarium) - Discover the wonders of our sun! Its incredible energy supports life on Earth, but solar storms can threaten our technology and way of life. Discover connections between sunspots, magnetic fields, aurora, and power failures. Travel to the distant future to discover our sun’s connection to the cosmic cycle of life and death.
How: The Ruth Patrick Science Education Center will be accepting reservation requests for field trip programs for the 2023-2024 school year. Reservation request forms are available here. The programs fill up quickly, so please do not delay!
For more information contact Dr. Gary Senn at SennG@usca.edu